Sunday, October 4, 2026

Football Scouting Story

The way back machine takes us back to 1984 as yours truly was entering his senior season of basketball. The season hadn't started yet but I road tripped with a pack of teachers to a high school game in Lansing. I recall Detroit Catholic Central was one of the teams as they had a player who was pretty talented and ended up going to play in college, but he was a chucker. His being a chucker I believe was the reason I was along as the mantra was always "shoot the damn ball Timmy" and they were hoping it would rub off on me (it didn't and we had a poor season). 
Anyway, at dinner I got to hear a few teachers tell the story when they were scouting Waterford Kettering football for an upcoming Milford contest in the early 1970's out of the mighty Wayne-Oakland County League conference. One player in particular for Kettering was Kirk Gibson. It was his junior year I believe and Kettering used him at another position when the Milford teachers were watching. He didn't do much at the game and hadn't reached his peak yet so they went back to the coaches and advised not to worry about Gibson, there were others to worry about more.
The game came, Gibson scored five touchdowns and the final score...