Friday, December 21, 2007

Bus Rider

I am fortunate in that the Renaissance Center and General Motors have a bus service available for employees. With my house roughly 30 miles from downtown, it saves immensely on gas and wear/tear on my truck not to mention the relax time during the ride. At $75/month, it is quite a deal. It also is key that I have a boss that will allow me to work from 7-4 each day. If a conference call or meeting from hell is dragging on too long, “sorry, I have to catch my bus.” It has saved me a few times.


For those that are wondering if I’m actually riding the “short” bus, I’ve attached a few pictures of the bus and my driver, Nosh, who I believe has only been in the U.S. for a short time. He may have a thick Russian accent but damn can he haul some ass during rush hour weaving in and out of traffic. My only gripe at him is that he waits for every last person to arrive in the morning (patience isn’t one of my strengths). When that clock strikes 6:25 a.m., it’s time for the bus to go! I know things can happen for someone to be late but when you are consistently late, I have a problem with you. I give dirty looks to the chronic stragglers and sometimes will look at my watch while they walk by. One time last year I even printed out the schedule with a note attached to it saying something to the effect of “I know you don’t mean to be late every day but it’s not fair to the roughly 60 other people on the bus who have to wait for you.” It worked and a few others on the bus told me thanks.
The bus makes stops at Milford Rd, Schoolcraft College (my stop), and Telegraph/I-96. The same people ride each day so you get to know all of their habits. The front of the bus is a pack of ladies who jibber jab the entire ride. The back of the bus are the sleepers. I’m usually somewhere in the middle with my radio headset going, blocking out the world (sounds about right, eh?). We have one lady who will change seats three or four times when she first gets on the bus. There are two ladies who must have knitted enough items to clothe a small country. There is one guy who stares at his lap top the entire ride, another who ties fly fishing lures, and a few who absolutely must lean their chairs back into my legs even though they are only five feet all. All in all though, the whole experience is not too bad.