Monday, February 4, 2008

Flag Up!

On a calm, gray Sunday morning, the annual Super Bowl morning ice fish outing took place on Dunham Lake; and what a day it was. While we normally fish the northeast side of the lake, due to open water in that area we fished the northern side. With a cast of Al, Darren, Eric, Greg, Jim, Lee, Roger, Tim V., and a crew of kids, the day was taking shape. The grill was in attendance with some nice food and beverage choices among us. I honestly was ready to catch my usual ten or so fish that normally qualify as glorified bait and be happy with that in addition to hanging with the friends. I occasionally put a tip up out and decided to give it a try today rather than just jigging for bluegill/sunfish. I normally just leave the tip up out and pay no attention to it but yesterday, I moved mine after deciding the water was too shallow where I was at. About an hour later I am jigging along and someone calls out “flag up.” I look behind me and there is my tip up with its flag up. I walk over there expecting it to be a false alarm but the line was moving on the reel. After some fine coaching from my fishing friends, I gave the line a yank and started pulling the line in. There was some resistance there and the mystery began. What was going to be at the end of the line? About ten seconds later, a big old mouth reared its head at the hole opening. Wow!!!! I gave it one last yank and this large fellow came up flopping on the ice. Being the fishing expert that I am, I had to ask what kind of fish it was. It turned out to be a walleye; a very large walleye. I’m not much into the “high five” scene but was so giddy along with the group that I threw out a few.

After a few celebratory cocktails, I calmed down and got back to my jigging world. About an hour later, Al walks by and calls out “flag up” but wasn’t sure if he accidentally kicked my tip up. I walk over and the line again is moving on the reel. I pulled the line up and a decent size pike greeted me. Two tip up fish in one day!!! I kept the walleye but put the pike back in hopes it will grow to be a larger fish. Glory days!!! The food and beverages never tasted so good after this conquest. A super Sunday it was.

Trail Head