Saturday, March 7, 2009

Beginning of Mountain Biking Season? - Not So Fast

With the 10th anniversary of the Molson Bike Tour (the ride, not the site) coming up this spring, I got bike fever with the recent fortuitous weather this weekend. The weather was outstanding on Friday and I had a dream of clean, somewhat ride able biking trails today at Maybury. Well it was just that, a dream. I pulled into the parking lot before the rain started and got a thumbs down rating from a fella who just got off the trail. I didn't get my rear end out of bed this morning to "not" ride so Mr. Stubborn was off to make his own judgement. Well, I must say the fella was pretty much right on with his assessment. Maybe a quarter of the trail was enjoyable to the point where you could check out your surroundings (one deer sighting). The other time was spent mud bogging or attempting to ride on the snow/ice portions. I bit it on the booty one time on the ice. It was a chore to say the least. So with that, any MMBA people reading this, sorry for tearing up the trails today.

I was really burning the midnight oil Friday night. The fire pit was going and the sounds of Harleys in the distance got me all choked up. So I'm sitting there enjoying the fire, getting a little pooped, thinking it's really late and I look down and it's 8:30. Sad.

For anyone who has a bicycle and has or has not been on the tour one time or another, I will be pestering you to get out there at least one time this summer. Creative excuses are always encouraged.
The bike tour is heading to Brazil next Friday to visit my sister so hopefully I'll have some stories to share. Over and out for now.
Trail Head