Sunday, January 12, 2014

Seeking Information and Getting a Bill of Goods

So there I was Thursday evening at the fishing expo in town with all the usual suspects in attendance mixed in with the many angler exhibits. You had the many beef jerky booths. The "sign" booth with signs such as "Beer. Helping ugly people have sex since 1769." The magic bracelet booth (bracelet cures body aches). The spine check booth (mine still crooked).The t-shirt booth where the shirts drop three sizes after the first wash. The buy one, get two free sunglasses booth. The 5-hour energy booth. They were all here. I was sad that I didn't see the Sham-Wow booth but maybe I just missed them. My mission on this wintry evening was to stock up on some lures and hopefully enhance my fishing knowledge at one of the many seminars.
I completed the first half of my mission in that I have enough wacky worms and o-rings to last at least through the spring. The latter part of the mission was a bill of goods, however. The title of the seminar I attended, Smallmouth Solutions, lead you to believe that you were going to get some secrets on catching bass. The entire seminar felt more like an infomercial as all the guy did was push the lures he was selling at the show. Of course the lures were working because the fish were hungry as heck. I could have put a bare hook and got something out of the pool. The one tip he did give in that the secret to catching lots of fish is (drum roll please).......using your favorite lure. "And of course your favorite lure can be my tube lures on sale now at my booth right behind you." 
Fish on, sell on.
Trail Head