Sunday, May 3, 2015

I'm going to Kansas City, Kansas City, here I come...

location where the negro leagues were formed - beautiful mural
Fats Domino said it and on my way to Kansas City I went this weekend to see some Tigers-Royals and find what happens when Cinco-de-mayo becomes Dos-de-mayo but we'll get to that in a minute. 
I flew in Friday morning, got the bonus early check-in at the hotel and settled in for what Kansas City is supposedly famous for, barbecue; and they did not disappoint. It wasn't even noon yet when I walked into the Jack Stack Barbecue and the place was jam packed. Surprise, surprise, I got the chicken. The local beverage is Boulevard Brewing and a good ale it was. After a great meal and a few soda pops, I was ready for some Tiger baseball!!!
After paying a whopping buck fifty, the Metro route 47 bus dropped me off in front of the football/baseball complex about eight miles east of downtown. I'm not a big fan of the stadiums being away from the city but what a beautiful complex. I bought a ticket but didn't sit the entire night as the park had so much around it; and some great people watching. The outfield has a patio area similar to Detroit with the statues (Frank White, George Brett, Dick Howser and the Kauffman's for Kansas City). While Comerica has the dedications to the great teams/players throughout the concourse, Kansas City created their own Hall of Fame which I thought was well done. Beyond center field, they had a whiffle ball field for the youngsters along with the fast pitch and batting cages. There was no way my old arm was going to try and throw but.....I did get in the batting cage. It wasn't pretty. The Tigers lost but I met some good people who didn't rip on the Fidrych jersey too bad. How can you rip on Mark Fidrych?
Saturday came and it was tourist mode for me. The first stop for the day was the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Some great history and perspective. While in there, a retiree-volunteer at the museum told me about a beautiful mural on the YMCA building where the league was formed a few blocks away from there; just off the main road. As the top picture in this entry and the one a bit further down illustrates, it was well done. 
The tourist mode from there ventured over to the college basketball hall of fame. I loved it. They had the exhibits giving the legends their proper due but it was a basketball love festival. So many interactive exhibits; you could even get in a pick up game if you wanted. I didn't (court was seriously packed) but I did kick some rear in the free throw shooting area.
This is where the story kicks into Dos-de-mayo. I was ready for lunch and a couple I had met earlier told me about the Power and Light District, which pretty much happened to be a block or so west of the basketball exhibit. Into Johnny's Tavern I walked (this is about 1 PM) and the residents of Buzztown were present; all of them. Yes, rather than wait for Cinco-do-mayo and have a hangover on Wednesday at work, get it out of the way now; makes sense. It was quite a celebration as I quickly found out the back of Johnny's led out to a courtyard where multiple bars/restaurants joined into one mass celebration with live music. There was a bar crawl for cancer going on as well with groups dressing like it was Halloween (some noted below). A merry group of people it was.
Tour mode ended for the day at the WWI Museum, just a few blocks from my hotel. I'm not a big museum fan but it was one of the better ones I have seen. 
A thumbs up to Kansas City. Good people. Kind of reminds me of a bit larger version of Grand Rapids.
Trail Head





stumbled upon Dos-de-mayo
never would have seen this off the beaten path if it weren't for an elderly guy telling me about it

Frank White shrine 








center field fountains were pretty cool in person

George Brett shrine

hanging with Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top

Union Station




college basketball hall of fame 

college basketball hall of fame- no I did not lace them up

college basketball hall of fame

Izzo and MSU getting some love at the NCAA hoops hall


bar crawl for cancer group - keep on keeping ladies


bar crawl for cancer - group dressed as various faiths; getting hammered

cool old buildings - Grand Rapids feel to the city


solid player; good fighter

Detroit Northwestern's finest

WWI Memorial

WWI Memorial - not a museum guy but pretty cool

had to take this picture this morning on the way to the bus