Sunday, January 31, 2016

In Search of Winter

We all hate driving in snow but winter around metro Detroit feels a bit odd without that cold H2O covering our lawns and stretching our backs during the shoveling process. Well, six of us headed north this weekend to once again see the stuff that co-workers cry about during their drive into work (I hate people that cry about their drive to work; nobody cares!). 
The location was Cadillac, specifically Caberfae Peaks. The five downhill racers took to the hills while I took to the forest for some cross-country ski adventures; I more or less had the trail to myself. While I consider the other local cross-country ski location, the Big M, to be better, the MacKenzie Trail through Manistee National Forest wasn't too bad. It was well marked and quite scenic but the only downgrade I give it is I was the "groomer" on a few of the loops meaning the trail hadn't been touched since the last time someone skied through. 
A gold star to Rob S. (AKA Clark W. Griswold) for arranging the tailgate lunch of all tailgate lunches. Up went the portable canopy, on went the grill with some tasty deer sausage and on went the envy of everyone walking by this awesome setup. 
A nice soul cleansing weekend with friends.
Trail Head
 

quite a tailgate lunch setup by Rob S.
 



well marked loop