Sunday, May 15, 2016

NoMo - Significant Shrinkage

chilly start - and yes, I like 90.9, RCJ
As George says in Seinfeld, "the sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at the deli." The sea was angry today. I entered the day at 33 degrees, snowing, windy and left it at 42, snowing, windy, around noon. Once you got exposed to the northwest wind, there was no lounge time, however, it was the annual No-Mo fishing tournament for the Make-A-Wish charity and I was the reigning fourth place finisher. Unfortunately, 2016 was not to be for this large hat wear-er. I had a nice legal green fish in the first hour but gathered nothing but 'Dunham Lakers' for the rest of the day, not that there isn't anything wrong with that.      
Needless to say, I didn't win the tournament this year, however, all is not lost. My main intention this year was to fish Lake St. Clair in the kayak but with the funky weather, I chose not to. I wasn't ready to navigate the kayak with two foot waves and snow; later confirmed by two fellow kayak-ers that did in fact fish St. Clair and spoke of a 'white out.' They both caught a goose egg and seemed more than happy to survive the float than anything. One foot waves, let alone two, are not fun for a 12 foot piece of fiberglass.
Trail Head


Sunday morning drive to Woodland Lake - snowing






Palm Cafe - good fishing point