Thursday, October 27, 2016

Moving Blues

took this pic a few months ago from my cubicle - building with the points is our new office
After 15 or so years in the building the critics said was Coleman Young’s way of flipping off the suburbs after it was built (look at the design next time you see if from afar), my employer is leaving the RenCen for a new headquarters about two blocks away.
Moving is never fun. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. Growing up (queue the ‘way back machine’), nobody could move like the Reeves family as within a six year stretch, we lived in three different homes. My dad had a gift of finding the next best deal on a house. And he did quite well financially in doing so. However, there were drawbacks to the process. Do you think my dad hired a moving service each time? Are you kidding me? That would impact his bottom line so…pack on! It was during this time that young Tim attended three elementary schools; a tough thing to do in making new friends at each school. While I had no gift of gab (still don’t) in making new friends, I dominated in kickball so friends were never a problem…..if they wanted to win in gym class (ha).
Back to the work move. I will miss the views (attached pictures are from my last two cubicle locations) and the ‘city’ that more or less resides in the building I’m leaving; having a post office, a pharmacy and various stores in the same structure when its zero outside is a bonus. What I won’t miss are the west winter winds pushing through the windows. I believe they are the original windows when the building was built in the mid-70’s; chilly. Another item I won’t miss are the larger than life cockroaches in the stairwells; huge. Hearing the building creek and sway during high wind days was also a bit unsettling.
Regardless, if my door swipe card works on Monday, there will be no complaining from yours truly.
Trail Head
I had this view at my previous desk - not a bad way to start the morning