Sunday, February 19, 2017

Bike Tour Book Reviews

Today we venture in the way back machine to the 1970's when young Tim(my) was in elementary school. School came somewhat/kinda/sorta easy for me except for one major area; reading. Yeah, the main one. After 'Tip and Mitten' in 1st grade, it all went to hell. Most of the class subjects involved the need to do it so I had to adapt. I was the walking definition of ADD before the label was even defined. My mind was on other things like recess. My favorite reply to my 4th grade teacher, Ms. Swarthout (whom I had the biggest crush on), was "What?" It made her giggle every time. I wasn't deaf; just off in day dream land. Book reports were not going to happen. I'll cushion that low grade with some extra credit in math; whatever it took. The only text that got my attention back then were the baseball box scores in the newspaper. I remember racing my dad to the paper box on Sundays to get the Sunday sports section. Xanadu!!! I didn't care about American history or current events but if Ron LeFlore was hitting over .300, all was well in my world.
I am happy to report that old dogs can learn new tricks as bus rider Tim(my), having about 45 minutes of idle time coming and going to work, has been doing some reading. Some of my recent reads are below; some good, some okay. 

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck
I haven't finished this one yet but the title pretty much says it all. The basic premise is you should only give a fuck about a few major things in your life but we all give a fuck about too much and get worked up over the wrong things. Some good perspectives.

Raye of Light
Covers the Michigan State football pipeline to the south in the 1950 and 60's under Duffy Daugherty. Great to read good things about the university with the crappiness (not a word) going on there recently.

Chuck Noll - bio
As a Detroit Lion fan, you always had to have a backup team to root for and I loved me some Steel Curtain football. A great read as Noll's picture should be in the dictionary next to the word 'family man' as you learn what he did for his. Football time was football time but family time was family time; no line crossing.  

Born to Run
Autobiography of Springsteen. A good read, however, he could have dropped a couple 100 pages off of it without going into so much detail about something that happened 40 years ago. Keep it simple Bruce.  

Shoe Dog
Autobiography of the founder of Nike. The man is richer than rich but damn he sure went through hell getting the company off the ground. Good read.

When Breath Becomes Air
Autobiography of a doctor coming to grasps with the meaning of life when he is diagnosed with cancer. Some good angles but no meaning of life found at the end of the book if you are looking for one.

The Smartest Guys in the Room & The Wizard of Lies
Two different books but I got onto the corporate scandal kick last year and what better topics to read about than Enron and Bernie Madoff. Outstanding reads.

I'll post other reviews in the future. Ms. Swarthout, if you are out there, give me a shout.
Read on.
Trail Head