Wednesday, September 13, 2017

fun with words and other border fun

today's destination 
I thought I've heard every question/comment possible in my 49 (and 10/12th - two months to 50!) years on earth going over the border crossing into/out of Canada but today I heard a new one.
You always get the usual questions; citizenship, where you live, what you do for a living, what you're bringing, weapon possession and depending on the mood of the guard, it can go easy or he/she might be feeling sassy and try to make you answer the simple questions with a twist. Some might just be looking for conversation as I've found the Canadian guards love to talk fishing it seems in my experiences going over. Just bring up Colchester to them and the line behind me will be held up as the guard explains how many perch they pulled out the previous weekend.  
For citizenship, don't even think about answering 'American' as you will get a 10 minute lecture from the guard. "Is that South America or North?" Yes, I received said lecture way back when. 
For the weapon possession question, don't do like my cousin from Arkansas did back in the late 80's and answer, "I have a gun at home." The car got ripped apart that day.
ran into a pack of these at the park
Another lesson learned is firewood is not allowed to be brought over (bugs). I had brought over a good portion one time and the guard didn't say a thing. Two weeks later I brought over some more and found out about the restriction. Back over the border into the U.S. went young Tim into a not so great neighborhood, dropped the firewood off for what I'm sure was a family that needed it and back over the border I went.
Today while heading over to do a pedal and visit with former neighbors Judy and Tom, I had a guard who I think was bored or a former grammar school teacher. "What is the purpose for your visit?" came the question. "Going to Point Pelee for a pedal" was my reply. "What?!?!?" came from the booth with a very serious look at me. "A pedal (pointing back at the bicycle in the bed), you know, bicycle," I replied. "Oh, I just never heard 'pedal' used as a verb before," the guard said. And off I went. Doubly odd is the Canadian side is usually the least bother.
The pedal was great.
Pedal on grammar guard.
Trail Head
the 'point' of Point Pelee




trail leading up to the point





yes, I'm 49 10/12 but can still giggle while going by signs like this