Sunday, November 12, 2017

Day Tripper - Celebrating Old Arenas

My employer added a new vacation day this year so last Friday was found money as I forgot we had it off until last Monday. I got my pea brain to work on someplace I wanted to see. I love me some sports history and Williams Arena, aka "The Barn," at the University of Minnesota fit the bill. Turning 90 next year (the locals in the stands gave me ALL the history; good people), the place is something special. Besides some All-American player and team tributes and some basic concessions, there is no concourse; which I liked. You are there to see a game. Imagine that? The two foot raised playing floor adds to the experience. The place reminded me a bit of a bigger Jenison Fieldhouse with a splash of Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse. I have been fortunate enough to see games in all. And Calihan Hall is no slouch. Love the old arenas. Look out Palestra in Philly, I may be visiting soon.
Trail Head
rock on 'Goldy'



tourist mode

have to climb up this floor






can't go wrong with the trough
nice campus
not sure what the deal was with the colored
overalls but there was a 'jillion' students wearing them
the mighty Mississippi
Vikings new stadium