Thursday, February 27, 2020

Pull-Up Deficient - and bitter about it

As the Sinatra song goes, "regrets, I've had a few...." Well, one of my regrets is the topic for today. Queue the way back machine to 1978 where Mrs. Sadowski's 5th grade gym class participated in the Presidential Physical Fitness Test. I honestly thought it was a local deal with our school system but it turns out it was a program created in 1966 by President Johnson (looked it up). I don't think it exists today as I brought it up to my 20-something physical therapist a few months back and got the "I have no idea what you are talking about" look. 
The tests consisted of (might be missing one): sit-ups, a shuttle run, standing broad jump, a 50 yard dash, a 600 yard run and last but not least, pull-ups; my White Whale. I could dominate all of the categories except the darn pull-ups. I don't know if it was my big melon weighing me down but could not do the 10 needed to capture the coveted Presidential Award (you even got a patch with the award!). No, falling short in that category left me with the crappy Achievement Award in 5th, 6th 7th and yet again in 8th grade. 
I'd call for a re-do but doubt I could do five today.
"bitter" Trail Head       
5th grade

6th grade
7th grade

8th grade