Monday, November 19, 2007

40! Life Keeps Moving

Well, it happened. I tried to stop time but November 15th came and went and with that, I became a 40 year old. A fun celebration it was. It started on November 14th with a nice evening in Lansing spent with Amy. She gave me a nice little care package for my birthday filled with organic treats (with a few beers mixed in for good measure). For those of you who haven’t met Amy, she is very earth conscious, which I think is a great thing. If we all had her passion for the earth, I don’t think we would have half the environmental problems we have today. She puts Al Gore to shame.

Jim M. was gracious enough to be my designated driver on my birthday Thursday. Al and Greg also came along for the festivities. We did a nice little bar tour hitting the Grand River locations from Wixon to New Hudson and back towards Novi. One thing I did find out that night was I just can’t do the hardcore partying like I used to (not sure if I ever could). I started strong but faded pretty quickly as we moved towards the latter part of the evening when the twenty-somethings were just getting going. The night was supposed to be a surprise but I messed it up because I was planning on heading north on my day. Sorry about that Jim. It worked out for the best though.

With my melon thumping pretty well, I ventured north on Friday morning up towards Rob’s place in Irons. He was heading up later that day so I took the scenic route up north of Gaylord, over to Boyne City, East Jordan and up along gargantuan Lake Charlevoix. I even caught a few glimpses of some snow in the area. A beautiful joy ride it was.

With it being the start of deer hunting season, the state land around Rob’s place was filled with orange-headed humans. Rob wasn’t too happy in that the area he usually hunts had others crowding him. Needless to say, the big buck wasn’t to be on this opening weekend for Rob. I did, however, witness something at Rob’s place that is more elusive than a twelve point buck, a bald eagle, or Dave McVeigh having a full tank of gas (Hi Dave).
I had heard rumors that it existed but never thought it would come to fruition. I was in such awe that I had to take a picture of it. Rob had a television on at his place!!!! Wow!

On a side note, I’m sorry I haven’t had more frequent updates on this site recently. I have to get out there!

Bye for now.


Trail Head