Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Fishing in "The D"

The Detroit River was packed with boats this past weekend with people looking to hook into the thousands of walleye coming in from Lake Erie. A word of advice for anyone heading to the river in the upcoming weekends. If there are tournaments also taking place when you are heading out, good luck getting your boat out at a public launch.
I met up with Doke at the Belanger Park launch in River Rouge Saturday morning at 7 am. He was in line about thirty or so boats back. I drove my truck up to the front and took a look at the parking lot. There were maybe ten spots remaining, unless the guy running the launch was going to get creative. After waiting about twenty minutes or so, we came to the conclusion that it wasn’t going to happen here. We ventured down to the Wyandotte Municipal Ramp in hopes that it might be a little less congested there. It wasn’t to be, however, the line did move a bit better than Belanger. As we got closer to the front, you could see the parking spaces quickly being taken up. We got to the front and as luck would have it, there was one space left, right in the front. A great day it was to be out on the river. Mother Nature delivered a good dose of sun and the west wind really enhanced that steel mill aroma all the more. I had a goose egg on my fish production but Doke was able to bring in two walleye and a perch. My production really has fallen off since my Super Bowl ice fishing conquest. I hope that wasn’t the peak of my fishing career? I may have to go down to the minors to work on my craft. My team needs me for the Skegemog tournament in June.

Trail Head