Sunday, October 5, 2008

Culture-ized in Chicago

In the past, my trips to Chicago could probably be classified as very large bar tours with sports mixed in some way or another (no complaints whatsoever there). Well, this past weekend, I utilized the portion of my brain that doesn’t get too much activity, the culture area. I had read things about this culture thing and some have told me about it but quite honestly, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I am happy to say my body did not implode in my exposure to this side of the world. I enjoyed every minute of it actually.

Jennifer and I took off Friday afternoon for the Windy City and Mother Nature couldn’t have delivered better weather. After settling in Friday night, we went on a lunch cruise on Lake Michigan Saturday on a ship called The Odyssey. Jennifer has good taste because the whole operation was first class and the meal was great. My version of a swanky lunch probably would have been chicken fingers at Harry Caray’s Bar (not that there is anything wrong with that!). The cruise took us out of Navy Pier and into Lake Michigan right along the skyline. I tried to do my Titanic version of “I’m the king of the world” on the top deck of the boat but I just didn’t have the Leonardo DiCaprio going for me that day.



After lunch we went up to the viewing deck at the Sears Tower. I felt like a cow being herded with the amount of people that were waiting to go up. It was worth it however. The views were outstanding. I liked the “Go Sox” imprint within one of the buildings below (although I can’t stand the White Sox fans---mean people).

To wrap up the day, we went to see the play “Wicked” at the Oriental Theatre downtown. I must say my background in the arts is a bit limited. Most of my theatrical experience has been watching my niece and nephew in plays when they attended St. Clare of Montefalco in grade school with the most recent being an outstanding version of Godspell (picture a group of twelve year olds dressed as hippies singing “Day by Day”). Well, I am here to tell you I had a great time at the play. It’s like a version of Wizard of Oz, the untold story.

I was able to get in a very small football watching fix Saturday but this culture thing isn't too bad.

Trail Head