Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mud Bog '09, No I don't have the Swine Flu, and a jog that turned into a 5K race

A muddy one it was tonight at Maybury. The rain stopped for the ride but the damage was done. Quite a few trees were down and as noted in the pictures, the mud was rampant. While enjoying a post ride beverage, I checked out the Maybury history (lesson included in today's reading) that they had posted outside of the parking lot. I learned that the park used to be a sanatorium to treat tuberculosis in the early 20th century. Until antibiotics came into the picture, the treatment was to isolate the sick but give them an environment to hopefully cure the illness. The fresh air, exercise, and strict diet actually cut the percentages down. The state eventually bought the property and here we are. There, you learned something today.

Lastly, I went on a jog last night on my usual route (have to keep the man boobs in check), down Meadowbrook, west on 11 Mile, and through Novi Town Center. While turning onto 11 Mile, I could see a pack of four cop cars blocking the street and a whole bunch of joggers with numbers on their backs. My usual route of sanctuary was being violated and I was in the middle of a 5K race!! There is a new shoe store in Novi Town Center, Running Fit, that was having a promotional thing going. A race on a Wednesday evening though? Well, I ran through the finish line and kept on running. No, I didn't win. I have the link to the race below.

http://www.runfit5k.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=11

Trail Head