Monday, July 27, 2009

Out Digit-Headed in Philly

Old Coach Stevenson used to always tell us as motivation in sports, "there is always somebody better out there." Well, I met my match in the sports knowledge world this past week.
In Philadelphia for work, I was able to get in some extracurricular activities after the work day. You're pooped but when in Philadelphia, embrace Philadelphia. A pack of us took an evening tour of Valley Forge, about 30 miles north of Philadelphia. For someone who has seen his share of historic military areas, this one was up there in magnificence. I never thought I would use the word "magnificence" in a sentence but it fits. The park was very well preserved.
So that leads me to the sports stat addict (or as Rob S. likes to call us, digit-heads) falling off his perch. I'll admit it, I love a good sports section. Heck, I get chills when I see the Street and Smith's college football preview on sale at the pharmacy. Anyway, me and two guys from our Florida office went to the Phillie game on Thursday. On the drive down to the park, the sports talk started up. One of the guys was on his 12th major league park on his mission to see them all. He was throwing out so many players and stats, I was silenced. I was out digit-headed! I was in denial at first thinking he was throwing this stuff out of his rear but he had a wealth of information. It would be too much rehearsal to make up. The game and experience were great. We got standing room only which was fine with us because we were more there to check out the park and see some wacky Phillie fans. They were quite a rambunctious group. To top it off, it was dollar dog night!
We are riding at Island Lake this Thursday. Come on out if you have a bike or not.
Trail Head