Thursday, May 13, 2010

Highland Rec - New Short Cut and I Fell Down

I am happy to report that the letter writing campaign a member of the bike tour conducted has paid significant dividends this year. Highland Recreation Area, one of the tougher rides in the area, has created a short cut within Loop B. Loop B was nothing but a thing when we were in our 30's, however, it seems to have more obstacles each year as we have approached our 40's. After mile marker five, there it was. I had to stop for a minute to absorb what I was seeing. We created our own short cut within the trail last year that involved some minor bushwhacking but here it was, inviting me to take a right turn instead of three more miles of up and down. Don't get me wrong, the area and trails are beautiful, however, when the mojo is just not there, it's time to take a right turn.
The rain that came through the area this past week wasn't that big of a nuisance on the trails as Highland is one of the better locations with respect to rebounding from rain drops. I did manage to bite it on the last quarter mile as I was looking ahead to some serious rocks and managed to slip on a small rock right in front of me. Another scar added to the collection I guess.
Trail Head