Monday, April 17, 2017

Riding Time - Happy Anniversary

While I would normally preface this entry with a "Spring is here and it's time to ride" reference and a formal Thursday riding schedule like previous years, however, I haven't stopped riding since last year so...."Spring is here, let's ride some more!!!"
new look for the ride this year - I wanna see it
painted, painted, painted, painted black...
A new niche to the riding this year as I recently completed my training in becoming a mountain bike patroller; or as my nephew calls them, “narcs.” Easy does it there urban rider Jackson.  If you are a responsible rider, we won’t have any problems.  The way I see it, I’m out there 3-4 times a week at various trails in the area anyway, I might as well help the cause assisting with first aid (certified in first aid/CPR), trail maps, spare tire tubes, water/energy bars, minor repairs along with helping hikers, horse riders and bicycle riders co-exist so we can all enjoy the experience. I’ve attached a link on the history of the patroller world.
www.imba.com/nmbp/history
Another new experience for me this year, mountain bike racing. I signed up for four races and have no idea what to expect. Yes, I put the miles in but my pace is as casual as casual can be with my music player helping me along via the ear buds. I don’t think they’ll let me bring the music so hopefully I have a good song to hum along to during the race and not some Bieber tune that was playing at the gas station pump 20 minutes before I got to the race. While I haven’t hit the big 5-0 yet, the racing world considers year of birth so I’m 50 in their eyes. I’d rather be lumped in with the 50-somethings versus the 40-somethings so that is a positive. I’ll take any advantage I can get. My first race is this upcoming Sunday at Yankee Springs Recreation Area in Middleville, MI. I’m expecting to hear “On your left!!!!” quite a bit but looking forward to it.
No formal Thursday riding schedule for the tour this year but for those looking to ride, I’ll be out there most Tuesdays and Thursdays after work (6’ish) and weekend mornings (10’ish).  If you want to ride, click the email link on the profile page here and drop me a line.
A happy 10th anniversary to this blog. What a long, strange trip it’s been; but quite fun! Thanks for reading.
Trail Head

MCMBA patrol group (newbie Tim in back in blue)

patroller classroom training (we take this serious)

patroller role play/trail training