Sunday, May 7, 2017

Race #2 - Baby Steps

Go Team GDI!!!!
While there are still many areas for improvement, race number two Saturday morning, Mud Sweat & Beers at Mt. Holiday in Traverse City, marked an improvement over race one for this scribe. Rather than being lumped in towards the bottom of the final standings, I managed to claw my way towards the middle. Besides a shoe lace that managed to get caught up in my chain (another lesson learned; some good cussing during the lace destroy) that might have put me in the top 10, I was happy with my ride.  
A little different format than the first race with respect to starting. Rather than going off individually every 30 seconds, you were lumped in with your group and others at the starting line. With that, taking off at the same time were Men/Women sport, Men/Women single speed, Men/Women fat bike and Men Clydesdale. You have a chip on your riding plate so it doesn't matter if you start in front or back, however, rather than pace myself from the back like I did, I should have inched toward the front as getting out of the initial cluster of bicycles takes a mile or so of "on your right" calls and a bunch of apologies as everyone is getting in everyone's way.  
Another difference was the finish line. The race name is Mud, Sweat & Beers and they make sure you get all as about 10 yards before the finish line is a very large, man made mud puddle that every rider must go through; a tradition I was told. I get to clean my bike now....yippee (insert sarcasm).
Ride on.
Trail Head
man made mud puddle at finish line

initial herd taking off


the cattle getting ready

 


 
man made mud puddle at finish line


the scene