Monday, December 11, 2017

What can Brown do for you? Quite a bit.

The bike tour headed south this past weekend to the place I called home in the late 90's, Indiana.
More specifically, Brown County State Park in Nashville, Indiana; about 45 minutes south of Indianapolis. Unfortunately, I had already moved back to Michigan by the time they started building these INCREDIBLE trails around 2004. Ranked as some of the best mountain biking in the Midwest, it did not disappoint.
The State of Indiana is pretty much flat in general with farm fields for miles and miles and John Cougar, the Bob Seger of Indiana, singing "Pink Houses" on some station AT ALL TIMES. The Nashville area is the exception to the Indiana stereotype though (well, most of the stereotypes); rolling hills throughout. I am still trying to figure out, however, how half of the area has an accent that came straight from Mayberry R.F.D. and the other sounding like Eddie Murphy's impression of a white guy talking. There is no middle ground yet they all grew up here!
Back to the ride though. Of the six different loops I hit Saturday and Sunday, my favorite (and probably everyone else's) would be the Hobbs Hollow Flow Trail. It's not the Hobbs Hollow "Bust Your Ass" trail, it has two man made flows (followed by two manageable climbs) that have you feeling like you're a kid again just learning how to ride for the first time. Quite a thrill. I added a clip below from Sunday's ride down it. The first song playing in the video pretty much sums up the tone of my speed, or lack there of, but whose in a hurry anyway with such a beautiful landscape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSbzZ58GO1U

And thank you to all the friendly Hoosier riders I encountered over the weekend who helped this large headed peddler find his way a few times when the signs weren't looking right (good signage overall in the park though).
I'll be back Brown County.
Trail Head 

friendly Hoosiers helped me find my way




bridge over Salt Creek entering the park

rode by a couple of these chimneys
- would be a great evening place to gather by the fire


Hesitation Point