Sunday, January 21, 2018

Fun At Recess

Recess. Was there anything better in school? It was great for all parties as the kids got to get outside and unleash some of their A.D.D. angst playing slaughter ball/war while the teachers were allowed to saunter off to the teacher lounge for a smoke (we're talking the 1970's here so yes, smoke 'em if you've got 'em Teach). Then 30 minutes or so later we all returned to our seats to work on our multiplication tables while A.D.D. boy (me) drifted off in daydream land recreating his domination of the slaughter ball game 30 minutes prior. It was a great time to be young and stupid. 
Fast forward about 40 years to Island Lake Recreation Area yesterday morning and it was recess all over again but I didn't have to go back to class! Winter and fat tire bicycling have allowed me to return to that feeling. There is a portion of the park titled the 'Badlands' that I learned about last year; resides south of the main mountain bike loops. It isn't a sanctioned trail so the mountain bike purists won't give you a public flogging on social media for riding on it during not so great conditions. There will be no chance of a flogging as the conditions were great and a fun ride it was. I was a follower in a group of about 12 as I had no idea where I was going and let the people who knew the trail options best show the way. All in all, about 14 miles of some cool landscape and bunny hill descents with manageable climbs. I managed to get fall number one in for 2018 as a tree root under the snow grabbed me for a slow motion loop over the handlebars. The two riders behind me had a great view of the dismount. No blood. Pedal on.  
It wasn't the Apollo Elementary slaughter ball championship, but it was up there. 
See you in Homeroom.
Trail Head
weeeeee!!!!!
 
wide shot of the Badlands
with riders in the distance
chicken rider crawling down a hill
earlier ride at
Maybury State Park Saturday