Friday, March 16, 2018

Tour Heads West - Anyone know how to get red clay out of cotton?

The bike tour headed west this past week as this large headed scribe ventured to what I think could be classified as the granddaddy of them all (so far) in terms of mountain biking utopia, Sedona, Arizona. As the old saying goes, pictures don't do it justice but got some good helmet footage as well to hopefully show the vastness (first time ever using that word) of the place. It's broken up into about 10 short parts. The music covers up my gasping.
Some funky trail/loop names as I pedaled: Chuck Wagon, Mescal, Cockscomb, Canyon of Fools, Rupp, Yucca, Dawa, Girdner, Adobe Jack, Jordan, Javalina, Grand Central, Ridge, Old Post, Skywalker, Carroll Canyon and Crusty. All were well marked and only had one instance of needing to backtrack because I was in my A.D.D. world with the music player going, not paying attention. The elevation took its toll on day one as the city is a little over 4,000 feet above so extra climbing was a treat; not. The payoffs were worth it though as what comes up, must come down; into some beautiful views. 
I brought back some of the red clay/rock from Arizona as my shirts and black riding shoes are a reddish/orange hue. The socks made it to the trash can at my hotel. If anyone has the secret to get red clay clean, give me a shout. 
Trail Head