Sunday, January 12, 2020

mechanically declined, but getting by

My truck battery gave me the "time to replace me" warning in recent weeks with ignition starts that sounded like the little train that was attempting to climb the hill with emphysema from too much smoking, but somehow made enough spark to get me on my way. Knock on wood but my past two trucks have never left me stranded. That is all I ask from a vehicle. 
Man card in hand, changing the battery would be a simple process I thought. Pull the existing battery and replace it with the newbie. Upon pulling up the hood for inspection of the current battery, I discovered a very large bar with an attachment below covering the current battery in addition to an electrical attachment covering everything. The manufacturer apparently likes to overcompensate for safety in this case along with making the common Joe go back to the dealer if they need their battery replaced. The auto part store where I purchased the new battery had a big banner advertising the fact that all new battery purchases were eligible for free installation* (*except my model).  I grimace each time giving hard earned money to the dealerships and would not be denied in this case.
It seemed too complicated upon first view but thankfully someone posted how to pull the bar and the attachment on the information superhighway. Bar/electrical attachment pulled, new battery installed and thank you Internet!
Trail Head
obstacles getting to the battery