Sunday, September 1, 2024

Music Player Evolution and do Jackson Browne/Elton John have a side deal with Apple?

On my daily walks with my dog I bring along my iPod, probably not the latest version of the music player, but works for me. We've come a long way on the music player:

First came the basic Walkman with just the radio. You have to fine tune it to get your station without getting static but it did/does the trick. I still go running with this version as it doesn't break as I have dropped it many times without issues.

Next came the tape player version where you could play all those mixed tapes you made from your record collection (I still have my cassettes in a box somewhere in the garage). The only drawback here was the batteries usually started to drain after attempting to listen to the flip side of your tape so Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like An Eagle" sounded like the singer was on ludes at that time.

Next came the CD player version that came along when the compact disc boom was in full force. The positives were the crystal clear quality of the music and it could also be connected to your car radio, if needed. The negatives were as with the tape player, the batteries drained pretty quick and when using it in the car, you got skips when going over bumps.

From there we have the present day MP3 player. Digital music. Pictured is the iPod but most today have them incorporated into their phones. The ability to load/play thousands of songs, it can be used in your car and the battery life lasts quite awhile without needing to recharge. No issues, right? I do have one small complaint/curiosity question. I have close to 4,000 songs loaded into mine and when I put those 4,000 songs on shuffle, a Jackson Browne or Elton John song seems to come up each time I walk the dog. I have no problem with the two as I have a few albums of each loaded but the law of averages, 30 or so songs out of 4,000, how can it be? Conspiracy theory (or fake news) but is there a side deal for the two artists with Apple to ensure this happens?
Trail Head