Friday, May 4, 2007

New Rider

A beautiful evening it was at Pontiac Lake this past Thursday. The trail was in good condition with no new trail re-routings to report. I'm sorry to advise that “Heart Attack Hill” is still there. A bear it is. No wipeouts to report. Besides a hand full of chipmunks and many birds, no other wildlife was seen.

The great thing about mountain biking is the thrill of the ride, the great scenery views, the many thoughts that go through the mind during the ride, and just the enjoyment of being out and about. With that, what was with the uptight riders at Pontiac Lake last night? Was it the full moon? They were taking the whole experience way too seriously. Maybe they had their spandex riding uniforms on too tight (not a big fan of the matching yellow spandex shorts and shirts with decals throughout)? I must have passed ten or so riders on the main strip of the trail coming and going and not one even gave a “howdy” reply back to me. Way too hardcore. Those must be the snobs who clock their times during the ride and go home to look at themselves in the mirror. Let’s just have some fun out there and enjoy the ride. That is my commentary for today.

The post ride was a bit chilly once the sun was setting. After getting a good laugh at the hardcore riders doing their post ride stretching so everybody and their brother could see, a trip to 59-West was in order for a meal and a good dosage of some second hand smoke. Dave “3-3-9” Munson assures me that he will be in attendance one time this year but he advised his marathon training might get in the way. Ron Morris was attached to the Hold‘em tables and was not doing too well from what I could see.
That is all for this week. While Maybury is on the schedule for next week, I am considering checking out the new Milford trail that I’ve heard so much about. Stay tuned and have a great weekend. Go Pistons, Wings, and Tigers. What can I say about the Lions draft? I’m excited to see Calvin Johnson play but he is about the only player I see having any impact this year. Being the digit head that I am, you would think I would have known something about the other players besides Drew Stanton that were drafted. That is not the case. I’m hoping for a surprise, as I do every year.

Trail Head