Sunday, January 9, 2011

Way Back Machine - 1976 Astros - Hi-White Baseball - Junior League

I got a picture scanner for x-mas and with that, we get to go in the "way back machine" on this site now (isn't that exciting?). Today's adventure takes us back to 1976 as a bunch of third graders took it to the diamond in their first year of non-tee baseball. The Astros; a motley crew we were. We paid our dues that year and went to the Hi-White Junior League final game in '77, but lost. What do I remember from those years? I recall getting beaned by a curly blonde-haired pitcher playing for the hated Tiger team (you know who you are Tim V.). I recall getting a few inside the park homers; which meant you hit it out of the infield. You can only hide those right fielders for so long. The Astros had a tough catcher-pitcher battery consisting of myself and B. DeMerrell. I think I maybe threw out one runner stealing in two years behind the plate. I'll blame it on S. Furman and B. Cox for not making the tag. All was forgiven, though, at the Dairy Been victory celebration each Thursday night. Good slurpies. What a thrill it was back then on finally "getting" baseball while adding to your baseball card collection each week (got it, got it, got it, don't got it, got it). The Topps' baseball card gum was the worst ever; yet it was the best ever.
I am going on memory on who is who in this picture. I do know one dude in the picture lost his life a few years back and another got struck by lightning playing baseball about a year or so after this picture was taken. It's just too bad technology can't take us back in the "way back machine." Going back to bicentennial 1976 would be an exciting journey.   
Trail Head
Top Row: Mr. Forester and Mr. Ewer
Middle Row: S. Furman, T. Reeves, unknown, Phil something, Brian something, S. Murphy, B. DeMerrell, Randy something,
Front Row: L. Dick, D. Ewer, Todd something, F. Baker, B. Cox, unknown, T. Forester