Sunday, January 30, 2011

Anyone for a swim?

calm before the swim at Lake Erie
Me neither. I did get to witness a couple hundred others, though, who were up for it yesterday afternoon at the 11th annual Kingsville Polar Bear Dip. The event took place at Cedar Beach on Lake Erie, about a quarter mile from my old place in Canada. The event raises funds for the ChildCan and the Youth and Family Resource Network organizations.
I met up with my former neighbor Tom and Judy beforehand not knowing exactly what to expect as this was my first viewing of a winter swim. Tom and I got a great spot in seeing the spectacle go down. I came away from the experience ready to do the task next year and represent the States. Yes, I'm sure there will be some "significant shrinkage" after submersion of "the boys" but they'll eventually come back out of the shell, I hope. I whole event was a great time and got the locals off the couch to raise some funds for a cause and get some laughs while doing so.
The post event hanging was over at friends of Tom and Judy. Greg (who participated in the dip) and Shannon were great hosts. I did get a chuckle when they were all talking about a friend of theirs who was legend in being able to "drink like a fish." I came back with "Don't all Canadians drink like fishes?" Nobody seemed to disagree with me.
Swim on Canada!

Trail Head





as Seinfeld said, I think I see a....nipple



nothing but a thing for the elders



quickest to submerge...brrrr!!!






that LOOKS cold
true polar bear, this guy was in no hurry to get out