Sunday, November 3, 2013

Unplanned Brushes With Celebrities - Way I Roll

I recently had two instances where I ran into local sport team icons. About a month ago I was
watching the Tiger game at a Northville establishment when Tomas Holmstrom strolled in with a friend to also watch the game. Nobody pestered him with the "Can I get a picture?" or "Remember that game back in 2009 where you skated around that one guy?" questions. He was allowed to hang and watch the game as he should.
Fast forward to a few weeks later when Kyra and I were having dinner in Royal Oak on an otherwise
yeah, boobs like this guy need to get a life - let Jerry go bro

normal Tuesday evening. A few minutes after arriving, in walks a short guy with gray hair in blue jeans and a gray zip-up hoodie. While my vision is not what it once was, I knew who that was; Jim Leyland with Gene Lamont in tow with him. As Tomas was allowed to enjoy his beverage in peace, that was not the case for poor Jim. The guy couldn't even get in a smoke outside without having to pose for another picture with a stranger walking by. I even saw from afar another guy getting into his ear, probably giving him advice on how he should have used his bullpen. He was gracious with every request but why do people pester people like that? We bought him a drink anonymously (he drinks a White Russian) and shook his hand with a simple "thanks for everything coach" gesture on the way out. If it's a planned photo/meet/greet session like when I got to pose with Billy Sims at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, that is one thing but when these people are out in public, just trying to go about their daily lives, let them be. There is my commentary for today.
Five out of six for the Spartans over that school from Ann Arbor. Woo!
Trail Head