Thursday, July 5, 2018

Hi Neighbor

One of the many traits I inherited from my dad was taking care of the landscaping; or in a broader sense, working hard to take care of your home. I don’t have the best lawn/landscape on the street but it isn’t a carbon copy of those down in Taylor-tucky (longtime Detroit suburbanites will get that joke). Most on my street take care to do the same as the process takes maybe 30 minutes out of your day each week. There are a handful of yards on my street, however, that seem to be landscape (or effort) challenged. 
This leads to one other trait I inherited from my dad; being direct. Taking the anonymous route (lack of balls route) isn’t going to happen as if you have something you don’t agree with, be a man and confront it head on with your name (and face in this case) attached to it. With that, Neighbor A and Neighbor B got a visit from me the other day on their overgrowth. You might be having bill paying problems but not taking a few minutes out of your day to give a trim to the bush that hasn’t been touched since you bought the place two years ago isn’t going to work with me as your neighbor. I've attached before and after pictures to justify my actions as both homes were the shining stars of the street prior to those residents moving recently. Now? Eye sores. If you didn’t intend to do any landscaping when you were house hunting, you should have bought a condo. This is exactly what I told both of them during my visits. Will it work? I don’t know but I can sleep at night knowing I gave both a look in the eye and the truth of what is expected.   
Grumpy old man, signing off.
prior to moving in to the left; current on the right - beautiful stone edge driveway rotting in weeds

prior to moving in to the left; current on the right - need to cut your way to the front door