Sunday, November 29, 2020

The $7,458 Question

It came as no surprise to me to recently read about fraud within the unemployment process as back in September, yours truly received a $7,458 bill from the State for an unemployment claim in my name that I did not apply for (nor receive said $7,458). Been thankfully employed for the last 30 years so obviously a head scratcher receiving the notice. I went through the proper channels and reported it to my employer and the agency's online fraud site (as talking to a human at the agency is not going to happen). 
I received a follow-up form letter advising they are aware of the fraud and won't be pursuing me further (which coincidentally came out right around the time the press started reporting on the widespread issues). 
Stay tuned but as Ernie Harwell used to say, that $7,458 is lonnnnggggg gone and the individual who received it is probably broke again (or in jail like the boneheads in the second article below). Karma is a bitch.
Trail Head