Wednesday, June 13, 2007

No-hitter! Wow!

Wow is all I can say in what I saw last night at Comerica Park in Justin Verlander’s no-hitter. A once in a lifetime thing that I’m happy to say I saw in person, along with a pack of age 55+ folks from the Bridgewater community. This event ranks up there with getting a hole in one (not yet), watching Jordan go for 60 (didn’t see), or seeing the Detroit Lions win a Super Bowl. In other words, extremely rare. My leg gets twitching when I get excited/anxious and by the seventh inning, it was moving pretty well. Jennifer asked what was wrong and I shot back with something to the effect of “do you realize what you are seeing here?” I honestly don’t think she knew what she was experiencing.

The great thing about Verlander is he doesn’t mess around in lollygagging on the mound. He’s got things to do and a nice looking girlfriend to boot so he gets on it. I like baseball but sometimes when games go 3+ hours, the attention span wanes a bit. This game was done in a little over two hours.

We all like to rag about Neifi Perez and his sub .200 batting average but he pretty much saved the no hitter last night with his grab up the middle for a double play in the eighth. Cheers to Neifi.

Trail Head