Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Sometimes We Fall

After getting chewed out by my girlfriend Saturday morning for going to see a movie Friday night while she had to work, I had to get away to the peace and tranquility of the riding trails. I’m sorry she had to work but should I have to suffer and be bored while she works?

It was the first ride of the year at Maybury and it was a muggy one. The trail was in great condition with riders, joggers, and horseback riders at a minimum. I was in the middle of the second go round on the loop when a tree root grabbed my front tire and off I went over the handlebars. No broken bones to report but I did manage to draw blood and have some nice post ride bruises to this day (WAAAA!!!!!). At least I didn’t have to make my annual (sometimes biannual) trip to the outpatient emergency room. Whether it’s walking into baseball bats (thanks Dan), chain saws gone bad, or riding a bicycle down a ski hill (that was fun), I somehow seem to gravitate to the stitching area every so often. After collecting my breath, I was ready to finish the loop but my bike said nice try. The front tire was bent pretty good. I managed to whack the tire on a rock and get it to a point where I could ride it back to the parking lot with the front brake cable unhooked. I took the tire into D&D Bicycles in Northville expecting to leave it there and pick it up later in the week but they were nice enough to fix it on the spot. Kudos to D&D for the service.

After watching the Pistons cave on Saturday night (don’t get me going on that), it was off to fishing land Sunday morning on Dunham Lake, the jewel of Oakland/Livingston County. Dan, Gordie, Greg, Gus, Hardcore, Jim, and I were ready to seek out the monster fish that usually comes about once or twice a year on the lake. Don’t get me wrong, there usually are plenty of fish in the lake and about half of the group on Sunday hit double digits but the BIG green fish is quite elusive out there. I am hoping we get close to these numbers this upcoming weekend on Skegemog Lake up north. I’ll summarize those results next week. Have a great day.


Trail Head