Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back to Hickory Glen---Junior League Football

The mountain bike tour was off to Hickory Glen Park in Commerce last night. I was lone rider on the tour and also on the trail. Not one soul out there. The ride was quite enjoyable. The temperature when I started was in the eighties but had to have dropped close to ten degrees by the time I got finished with the front coming in. Luckily, I was able to finish the ride before the storm came through. It wasn’t Katrina but that was some fierce rain in the Commerce area around 7 pm. It was, however, a beautiful evening (pictured) after the storm passed.

While enjoying a post ride soda pop, I watched a bit of the football junior leaguers and their many coaches practice. It kind of brought back some memories of my junior high football career (cue the “way back machine”/dream sequence). I must say we were pretty good in seventh grade but unfortunately that was probably our peak. I will never forget the Muir game where Al and Jim caught touchdown passes in our domination of the lowly Hawkeyes. Throwing in seventh grade was quite rare; everybody ran the ball. Al had a sweet pair of black high top cleats and had guys bouncing off of him. Jim had his backyard football moves that nobody could touch (he was at his best in the snow). Due to my large cranium, my helmet was odd to say the least. It had to have been from the sixties. Rather than being round, it kind of bubbled where the ear holes were at. It wasn’t much of a chick magnet, that’s for sure.

We got a dose of reality, however, in eighth grade. With a limited budget, they combined the seventh and eighth grade teams and I guess I’m a little bitter but I don’t think other teams played the amount of seventh graders that we did. Needless to say, we lost to Muir that year and everybody else. My main memory was watching Muir RB Darryl Barr (“Darryl Star”) run around end and I swear I could feel the ground rumble. He was a man child but unfortunately his junior high legend status was never equaled in high school.

(dream sequence over)

That is all for now. Sorry to throw you in the “way back machine” but it’s always nice to go back every so often. Have a great holiday weekend.
Trail Head