Monday, September 10, 2007

Angus - Big Fire Hydrant in the Sky

I'm sorry to report that I lost one of my friends this past weekend. My old dog Angus, who I owned and raised in his early years on earth, had a twisted bowel that took him down. Apparently it is a common and serious problem with deep-chested dogs that weigh over 70 pounds (he was closer to 100) and are between 5 and 8 years old.

I got Angus as a puppy from a breeder in Saline back in February of 2001. I was there during his growing years and boy did he grow. I gave him away a couple years ago to a great family up in Almont, Shelly and Rob Karjala. I just couldn't give the rambunctious fellow the time and running room he needed and it worked out for the best. The Karjala's had ten acres in addition to another dog, Jodi (they eventually got a third dog, Lucy). I couldn't ask for a better situation for my bro. I went and visited him last year around Christmas and he still had that grin on his face like he always did. The two pictures below are from that visit.

What a great dog he was. I remember taking him out on a canoe in Canada when he was a puppy and finding out quickly that he could in fact swim (he jumped in). He was tackling Lake Erie like it was nothing. While he tried and tried again to catch a squirrel, he never did capture the furry ones. He was a trooper in going on runs with me, posing for Christmas cards, hanging in the car, and besides throwing his 100 pounds on a high five to a three year old, the kids loved him. Heck, who couldn't love him?

Goodbye friend.

Trail Head