Friday, May 16, 2008

Highland Rec

The many hills of Highland Recreation Area was the setting for this past Thursday’s ride on the tour. A great, crisp, cool evening it was on this day. I was not surprised that our usual third rider, Gus, was not in attendance. As he has done time and time again, he found a way to avoid riding at this location. A guy who used to ride with us on limited basis awhile back, Darren, was nicknamed “hardcore.” Gus has achieved the status of “soft-core,” which is too bad.

As I had stated previously on this site, Highland is one of the tougher trails in the metropolitan area. Last night, however, I finally found a way to cut the “B” loop in half. Riding the “A” and “B” loops is a bear, especially for our aging bodies. One guy actually died on the trail a few years back. There is a memorial on the trail for him right after mile marker six on the “B” loop. I think it was more his health than the trail but it is a bummer regardless.

Mark and I ventured over to the Red Dog in Milford after the ride for some refreshments. I hadn’t been there in awhile. I got the Tone Loc review from the bartender when he played there last month. I’m sorry I missed that show. I guess the place was full and he put on a great show for the locals.

I’ll have the grill out next Thursday for the ride at Island Lake to start the Memorial Day weekend celebration. Come on out, even if you don’t want to ride.

Trail Head