Sunday, June 28, 2009

Lot going on up north - Where are the people?

Gymnastics in the canoe, outstanding people watching at the Flea Roast, great meals, and overall a darn good weekend up in Irons this weekend.
A friend and I paddled down the Big Manistee River on Saturday. I was expecting a big crowd with the fortuitous weather but besides maybe three human sightings, we had the river to ourselves for our three hour tour (....a three hour tour). With that and the calm current, it gave each of us a chance to show off our talents (pictured). Gymnastic canoeing is going to be an Olympic sport in 2010 I hear.
After the paddle and a bite to eat, we got to experience the world renowned Irons, Michigan tradition of the Flea Roast & Ox Market. I am kicking myself for not having the camera for this spectacle because it was quite a scene to behold. You had the trinkets and trash booths (I bought a back scratcher), the kiddie rides, the beer tent, the live music, and a people watching paradise! Almost everybody was smoking, the majority had some form of tatoo, and most I could hear breathing like Darth Vader. I overheard one large lady near the trinket booths, "where can someone get a seat around here?" Five minutes later, there I saw her slumped on a picnic table, taking a drag from her Pall Mall. She was in her happy place. I'll be sure to put the Flea Roast on my calendar for next year.
The weekend was capped with a mountain bike ride/roller blading (no roller blade for me) at the Big M mountain bike trail area this morning. As with the river, there was no one out in the area, which again was fine by me. It must be everyone gearing up for the holiday next weekend. Why not make every weekend like a holiday? No sense planning months ahead for just one weekend, eh? I enjoyed my "holiday" weekend and will enjoy the rest of them, regardless if the calendar says it's one or not.
Trail Head