Monday, May 16, 2011

No-Mo Kayak Fishing Tournament - No-Mo and No-Fish

On a cloudy, yet calm morning, I took to Newburgh Lake in Livonia last Saturday in hopes of taking the gold at the 2nd annual (my first) No-Mo (no motor) tourney in my kayak. The rules are pretty simple, you are allowed to hit any public body of water in Monroe or Wayne County. It doesn't have to have a public launch; it just can't be Grandpa Frank's pond on the back 40 acres that only you can get to. You are allowed to claim (via your digital camera) one fish in each category; bass, teeth (walleye, pike), and wild card (perch, carp, catfish, etc...). Winner is by length, not by girth. No live bait is allowed. More or less, you are on the honor system. The entry fees went to charity and I don't believe anybody had the scam going. It was just a bunch of people who enjoy their kayaks and the fishing scene. First prize was a pretty cool kayak though and competition is, well, exciting!!
I believe my fellow fisherman (26 total boats) worked the Lake Erie/Detroit River area as it was a lesson learned for this rookie. While Newburgh Lake was calm for most of the morning, I think there was a reason I was the only individual out there. From a little after 6 AM to a little before noon, I worked the wacky worm (pink and green pumpkin), the beetle spin, the lipless shad, and even trolled for awhile with a rubber worm. It was all for naught as besides a few minnow nibblers, it was skunk-a-roon-ee for yours truly. They gave us these fancy rulers to use when we measure our catches but my ruler didn't even come out of the bag. Tough love there. I attached the results below and it appears I would have needed a career day regardless to take the big prizes. I have my work cut out for me but I will not be denied.

On to Lake St. Clair this upcoming Saturday for the Badwater Bass Club opener. It should be fun. 
Trail Head