Monday, July 23, 2007

Detroit Tour

This past weekend I embraced the city of Detroit. I figure they take roughly $700 out of my paycheck for taxes every year; I might as well see what I’m paying for. I was planning on heading home after having a few cocktails with a co-worker Friday night, however, my watch said 8:30 and The Guess Who was playing behind the RenCen as part of the free concert series held there during the summer. With that, I walked over to give a listen. I was expecting maybe 200 people but the patio area behind the RenCen was packed. In addition, there were about 20 boats that anchored nearby. It was some outstanding people watching. If you had ever witnessed the scene at Catalina Lanes in Highland (since closed) when there was some live music going, those same people were in attendance on Friday. One motley crew. Anyway, there were only two original members of the original band and they weren’t Burton Cummings or Randy Bachman. The guy who sang, however, sounded pretty darn good. I only stayed for a few songs but “Star Baby,” “Bus Rider,” and “Laughing,” sounded great.

Doke and I bought some standing room only tickets for Saturday night’s Tiger game. While walking over to the park on one of the side streets, I heard “Tim Reeves” shouted a couple of times. Who the heck would I run into on this side street, away from the normal flow of traffic? It was my sister and niece (who live in Detroit) coming back from dinner with my folks. Crazy. The game was great with the Tigers taking the game in the 10th. While I wouldn’t call myself extremely tall, being 6’2” does have its advantages when dealing with standing room only tickets. We took in quite a few viewing areas and at one time I was eye-balling some Tiger Den VIP seats but that vision quickly soured when I saw two people sit in them that were quickly “shooed” away. Oh well.

Have a good week.

Trail Head