Sunday, July 29, 2007

Proud Lake Recreation Area

This past Thursday Eric and I rode a new trail on the circuit, Proud Lake Recreation Area. I had read on the MMBA web site about the improvements made to the trail system there so I thought I'd give it a try. There had always been trails but they weren't ever biker friendly.


The park has four loops, however, they are kind of scattered out and you have to keep your eyes open for signs, if you can decipher the signs. Most of them are for the horse trails with a few noting where the bike trails are headed. The map I pulled from the MMBA site was pretty much hand written so we kind of winged it on the ride with a few turnarounds. We started out on loop two which wasn't too bad; some nice turns and ridge rides throughout. The area has to be filled with deer during the fall and I'll bet there are quite a few hunters that make it out here. After completing loop two, we had to hunt out loop three but eventually saw the sign for that and got going to avoid the bugs that were starting to make an appearance. Loop three is called the "Loop of Pain." Besides a few hills, I didn't think it was too bad and felt more pain at Highland or Pontiac Lake. Loop three lets out on a dirt road and we were again searching for signs to either loop four or the parking lot. After about a quarter mile on the dirt road, we came upon loop four but decided to venture back towards the parking lot; if we could find it. My map said to stay to the right on the trail to head back to the trailhead and that is what we did, however, doing so lead us into "swampville." With that, if you are ever riding the trail and come upon Russell's Bridge, you are going the wrong way. We eventually made it back to the parking lot for post ride soda pops. Overall, the trail has some nice views in the woods but needs more signs and more riders. Having the loops connect would also be a plus. Lastly, look out for the horse doo doo. I'll probably come back in the fall for a repeat ride because I'll bet the many trees in the area are quite a view during the color time. That is all my friends.

Trail Head