Monday, October 1, 2007

Northern Michigan Utopia

It was off to the northwest portion of Michigan on the motorcycles this past weekend. What a beautiful weekend it was. Bruce, Ken, Rob, and I met up in Cadillac Friday morning for a joy ride north out of the Manistee area and up around the Leelanau peninsula. I was the minority in the group as those three all rode BMW’s and I was on my Yamaha. While I kidded them that I couldn’t tell if their bikes were on or not as they didn’t sound like a motorcycle, they silenced me pretty quickly when we took off at any stop. We might have had the same cc’s but those BMW’s can sure take off like a rocket. Wow! They explained to me later on how the bikes can do what they do but my limited mechanical knowledge just had me nodding my head like I knew what they were talking about. “The cams can really do that? That is incredible.” They could have made up words (maybe they were) and it wouldn’t have mattered.

I must say M-22 up around the Leelanau peninsula is one of the more enjoyable joy rides in Michigan. Many turns, many lakes, and many beautiful sights. The fall colors weren’t quite at peak but they are getting there. We spent the night at Rob’s place in Irons, Big Whiskey, and enjoyed some brats and beer while discussing and trying to fix the issues of the world.


Bruce and Ken took off towards home on Saturday morning so Rob and I went for a short ride around the area and took in the sights of the Manistee River and the many (read: whole lotta) fishermen trying to bring home a salmon that were abundant in the river. There had to have been sixty or so people along the shoreline with lines in the water. We were up on a bluff and could see fish everywhere. I like to fish but not in that big of a crowd. It kind of ruins the serenity of the experience.

We hooked up with Greg back at Rob’s place around noon . He was up to fish the area for the next five or so days. After some unsuccessful peer pressure from them (a fine effort it was guys), I left shortly thereafter for some plans I had in Lansing that afternoon.

A great weekend it was.

Trail Head